Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Thursday, November 6, 2014

The mouse in the corner

We have a mouse. Or had a mouse. I've heard it in the walls, and my nephews saw it run across the basement a couple of times last week. There's been a couple of nights I could hear it making noise near where I sleep. So when the pest control guy was here last week, he set traps, and either the mouse got in one, or he moved on, for all has been quiet on the mouse front.

Until last night. I woke up around 2 am and had to use the restroom, and heard what I thought was the mouse again. Scratching sounds coming from the corner, sounding like it was in the closet. I turned on my side and tried to ignore it and go back to sleep, but it was too annoying. Plus, laugh at me if you will, but I had this fear it would run over me while I was sleeping. Sorry, but rodents creep me out. Who says guys can't be creeped out by mice? If women can do everything a man does, then men can not like mice.

On the way to work, I got to thinking about my "mouse" ordeal. And a thought hit me. Maybe God had a message for me, or my mind worked it out. I don't know. Anyway, the thought came to me that my spiritual life is like that. I'm not saying I am afraid of mice, but I really, really dislike them. But how often is there something we are dreading, something that is worrying or scaring us, and when we get to the point where we have to face or confront it, it turns out to not be that bad. Or it never happens. Instead of a mouse in the corner, we find it was just noise from a bad connection.



It is a lesson that has been a long time learning, but the devil blows everything out of proportion and makes things bigger than they really are. He is the original one to make mountains out of molehills, but it is the molehills that WE face that he tries to make into mountains. And so many of us fall for it over and over and freak out at the mountains around us. And sometimes they really are mountains, but often they are molehills that the devil has magnified and caused us to fear.


How often do we cower under the covers, afraid of what is out there, when it isn't anything at all what we are fearing?

We may find out that what we have been fearing all along was simply noise.




No comments:

Post a Comment