Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Friday, November 7, 2014

30 days of thankfulness, Day 7: Thankful for my sense of humor

 
 On day seven, I am thankful for my sense of humor. Some may think my jokes are dumb or that I am too sarcastic - and man, I do tone that down - but I am glad God gave me the sense of humor that I have. It has helped keep me sane in life, and has been a defense where I might have flown off the handle, but instead resorted to humor.

  Granted, it has helped me wear a mask through life. I have used humor to cover hurts and to camouflage times when I was down. No one wants to be around a gloomy Gus, and it has helped me not to be. Sure, there are days I have a hard time pulling it out, but for the most part I can pull it off.

  The Bible says that a cheerful heart is good medicine, so even God recognizes the value of humor. I am convinced that God Himself has a good sense of humor. I don't think He is the stern overbearing God too many of us have imagined.

  I am getting older, so I can't recall jokes as well as I used to be able to, but things people say often remind me of a funny story or joke and I can pull them out of my memory. Much to the dismay of some people.

 I would rather be known as someone with bad jokes and a good sense of humor, then a grumpy guy who can't see the humor in anything. And that is how God made me, a guy with a wacky sense of humor, but one I am glad I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment