Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Thursday, November 20, 2014

30 days of thankfulness, Day 20: Thankful for my best friend

On day 20, I am thankful for my best friend. For most of my life, I had no such thing, and didn't have many close friends. For a guy who hates sports, isn't into hunting, and would rather shop and read than do the things most men do, it is hard to find a friend who wants to do the kind of stuff I like to do.

  In 2006, I became friends through a mutual friend with the guy who is now my best friend. I had the opportunity to share an apartment with him for two years, and it was two of the best years of my life. I never had many chances to just hang out with someone, and have been pretty much a loner for most of my life, so to have someone around all of the time who wanted to go shopping with me, or out to eat, or just hang out...it made a big difference in my life and provided some healing that I had needed for so long.

  We live 400+ miles apart, and don't see each other as often as I wished we could, but email, text, and talk when we can. We read some of the same authors, but mostly not, don't listen to the same kinds of music, and have differing viewpoints on some issues, and have argued many times, but I have come to learn you don't have to agree on everything to be friends. Everyone needs a friend who knows  the worst about you and will still be your friend, and who will always be there for you. And I am thankful I have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment