Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Saturday, November 22, 2014

30 days of thankfulness, Day 22: Thankful for Christmas


On day 22, I am thankful for Christmas. It does seem we almost skip over Christmas anymore, with stores pushing sales and decorations for a holiday too many of them won't even call by its name, but I love Christmas and the days leading up to it.

  While here on earth with our little finite minds, we can't fully comprehend and appreciate what Christmas entails. We do have a sense of awe and wonder that God Himself became one of us, and was born to die for our sins. We kind of get that, but not until we get to Heaven will we truly get it.

 But while I am here on earth, I will enjoy and appreciate it as much as I can. Is it commercialized too much? Yes, most definitely, but underneath all of the hustle and bustle, the sales, the Santas and reindeer, the fact remains that the world - with the exception of some people - are celebrating the greatest event the world ever experienced: God becoming a baby.

  I love it all. The music, the decorations, the extra good will and cheer in the air, the Christmas tree, the gifts I give and receive, the church candlelight service, spending time with family...... and the list could go on.

  And truly one of the highlights of Christmas is putting out my nativity scene. Since I have been staying with my parents, they have one they put out, but I have been putting mine out in the basement the last couple of years, and there is just something special about putting mine out. It helps me remember what it is all about.

  So I am thankful for Christmas. I am thankful God looked at poor humanity and pulled off the craziest and most loving thing He could ever do: come to earth as one of us, and let Himself be killed by us.

No comments:

Post a Comment