Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Monday, May 14, 2018

May musings 2

  I just did an edition of my May musings, but have more on my mind and was a bit bored, so here is another edition. It is longer than most of my posts like this, but I doubt anyone reading it will read every entry anyway:

1) Boy Scouts

 The Boy Scouts made the news with their decision to change their name since they are allowing girls in. Even though I personally deal with same-sex attractions (I don't like the term gay for myself), I was against them allowing openly gay scouts in and gay scout leaders....I won't go into the reasons why right now..... and now they are allowing girls in. Liberals truly destroy whatever they touch.

 This last move I feel is from feminists who feel they must do everything guys do, and barge into any men or boys only organization.

 I strongly believe Christians and churches should abandon the Boy and Girl Scouts and let the liberals have them. American Trail Life is a great conservative and Christian alternative.



2) Hymns

 I am glad my church still uses hymns and hymnals and have not gone to screens. I believe 100% that most of the songs written today do not have the depth that the old hymns did...... and there are a variety of reasons for that. I believe we are much more shallow Christians than the ones who wrote the hymns. Praise and Worship music especially are shallow imitations of the great old hymns.

3) Bible versions

 One of my biggest pet peeves are King James only people who must constantly point out how the KJV is the only version we should use, and how terrible the other versions are, and how they are next to God for using the KJV.....last one is just sarcasm on my part.

 I can understand a preference for the KJV, and take no issue with that. However, the KJV may not be the best and most perfect translation. The translators of newer versions have more manuscripts to work from than the KJV translators did.

 And if these people don't want to be hypocritical, they should use the original 1611 translation instead of the GASP! updated version they use. Yes, it is true..... these KJV only people are using an updated and edited version of the original Bible God Himself handed to the Apostle Paul......... (sarcasm again there..."

I have to wonder about all those poor souls who lived before the KJV.....however did they have a true relationship with God?!

 I use several translations/versions, and believe I am better for it. Use the KJV as your only Bible if you want, but don't you dare climb on your shiny pedestal and spout stuff you have no clue about. That, my friend, was not sarcasm.

4) My nieces

 I referenced in my last post that my youngest niece is graduating this year. I want to add something: these 3 young ladies I am so proud to call my nieces, dress well and modestly. I see how young girls dress nowadays...showing as muck skin as they can, weird hairstyles, tattoos, piercings, and more....and I am glad these 3 girls do not. That is the way young ladies used to dress and act, but we have lost that.

 And yeah, guys nowadays have some pretty bizarre looks and clothes too.

5) Calvinist memes

 I have several Calvinist friends, and though I disagree 100% with their theology, I still like them and have confidence in them.

 What I don't get though is this: a lot of Calvinists love to post about election - the idea that God picks and chooses who He will offer salvation to, and who he will send to hell without ever giving them a chance to repent and serve Him....... and also about free will. For some reason, they hate the idea that God gives us a choice......that if we are ones God picked to serve Him, it is going to happen because He ordered it that way. We have no choice in the matter. Free will does not exist.

 I have said before it makes God look like a sadistic puppet master...... and I don't get why they have to post so much about these beliefs of theirs that make God look totally opposite to the God of love, mercy, and grace the Bible shows.

 A friend posted the following meme recently. Look it over, and then answer these questions:

1) How does it glorify God?

2) Why must Calvinists mock we who are not Calvinists?

3) Does it line up with the Bible?

4) What image of God does it show?

5) Why are Calvinists so dead set against the idea that God gives us a choice in serving Him?

  Seriously. I don't get it. Why don't they spend more time talking about God's love instead of their very wrong beliefs that God picks and chooses ahead of time who He will save and who He will not, and that we have no choice in the matter. That is NOT the message of the Gospel, and is definitely NOT the Good News.



6) Sorry Calvinists, Paul is not a good example.

  Another on Calvinism....  (Hey, they pick on us a lot!)

 Calvinists love to use the story of Paul on the road to Damascus to show we have no free will. I have seen memes about it several times. There is just one problem with that. In Acts, Paul tells King Agrippa his conversion story, then says this: "Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision." In plain English..... Paul had a choice, or the possibility of disobedience would not existed.

 Also, speaking of Kin Agrippa: He said to Paul "You almost persuade me to be a Christian"......which kind of blows holes in that irresistible grace idea.

7) Mowing

 The riding mower that is at my place does not belong to me........ it is my landlord's, my brother-in-law's dad. Last week, the blades would not engage, so I mowed with the push mower. I did again today, and remembered to wear my fit bit. It showed a little over 5 miles when I was done. Hopefully we can get the riding mower working soon. Though it is good exercise.....3 hours of exercise.

 I took pictures from the 4 corners of my yard to give an idea of how much I have to mow

8) Post Trump world

  I have wondered what it will be like after Trump exits the White House. Can his supporters ever be able to criticize politicians for immorality, adultery, vulgarity, history of funding liberals, etc? Will they?

 That is one my biggest problems with Mr Trump.....there is something about him that causes many Christians to defend everything about him, no matter how corrupt and immoral he is or was. I'd stake my life on this statement: Were Donald Trump still a Democrat, the same things being defended by so many of his supporters would be criticized.

 Character doesn't really matter anymore. It just depends if there is an R or D by the name.

9) Voting

 Last Tuesday was voting, at least in Ohio. I didn't vote. There were a couple of reasons. I moved in August, and filled out the voter form online with my new address........ but never received anything telling me where to vote. I still don't know where I was supposed to vote, or if they got the information that I had moved.

 I don't even know what was on the ballot.

 And I have become disillusioned with voting. I know, I know. "One vote could make the difference." Yeah, whatever.

 In 2008, I did my part. I voted for the Republican who I didn't like very well to stop Obama. We all know how that worked out.

 In 2012, I again voted for a candidate I didn't like very well. Again, a corrupt liberal won.

 In 2016, I faced something different: 2 corrupt liberals, one supposedly the lesser evil on the Republican ticket.... I honestly felt - and still feel - I could not vote for him. I voted my conscience - something many Christians suddenly had an issue with since it didn't line up with what they wanted. Again, a corrupt liberal won.

 Tell me again, how my vote matters. It doesn't.

 The election of 2016 has effected me in ways not many people would understand. The crap I took from "Christians", the way Christians suddenly didn't care about what they always have in liberal candidates, the blow-back I get when I dare criticize this man.

 Had I become an agnostic because of my disillusionment with Christianity because of this election, I don't believe many of those people would care. All that matters is defending this man no matter how odiously he behaves, and no matter what comes out about him.

 I had 2 considerations after this last disaster of an election: Never vote again. Seriously. I was that frustrated and disgusted with my party. The other: register as an Independent.

  The news that conservative author Brad Thor plans on running against Trump in the 2020 primaries if no one else will has caused me to hold off. I doubt anyone would beat Trump.....too many of his supporters have a cult like personality that they would support him if he shot people on the street - his words - but still there is a tiny sprig of hope that enough people will see him for what he is by then, that just maybe he will get kicked off the ticket.

 And who knows....I may find out enough about Brad Thor that I decide I can't vote for him either.


10) Prom dresses

 Here is a great question: Why for proms and  weddings do the women/girls show as much skin as possible? It is not uncommon for even Christian females to have a strapless/shoulder-less dress that hangs on their breasts showing more than God ever intended since the Fall.

   And then you have the guy. Full tux, sleeves to the wrist, shirt buttoned at the collar....if the same dress standards were applied to men, you'd have shirtless guys at proms and in weddings. So if the guy is so well covered, why aren't the females? And what idiot would send their daughter out with part of her breasts showing  for a night with a hormonal horny teenager?? Seriously! Not the best way to guard your daughter's virtue.

 Maybe part of it is because I am not attracted to women and find the sight of their breasts gross - sorry, but that is the way I am wired......but a decent woman....especially a godly one - is not going to be showing off her breasts.

11) Space at the Table

  I saw a book recommended that sounded very interesting: Space at the Table, conversations between a Theological Evangelical Christian and his gay son. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it is really good. I found myself crying a lot as the boy related stories from his childhood of how he was treated because he was different.....I could relate.

  It is actually amazing they could collaborate on a book. What it comes down to is the father still believes homosexuality is wrong and sinful, but realizes his son is far more than his sexuality and loves him and has a great relationship with him. The son had to come to a point where he realized his parents could disagree with his lifestyle, yet still love him and have a relationship with him. Already I am thinking a lot of Christians need to read this book.

 The father had a lot of advice on how to love your gay child and deal with everything that arises because of it. He challenged my thinking. Even though I deal with SSA myself, he made me see things differently.

 The son also had advice, mostly for gay people on how to keep their parents in their life, and accept the fact that they disagree with their lifestyle.





12) Spring/Summer

  I'll admit it...I am not crazy about the extreme heat, but I will take it over winter. It is so awesome to not have to bundle up to go outside, to not have to warm your car up or sweep snow off just to run to the grocery store.....and it is so pretty outside. The birds are singing, everything is blooming. It makes me happy.

One of my favorite things about warm weather: sandals. I get tired of wearing socks, and love to wear sandals. I also like to go barefoot, but only in the house and on the porch. I am afraid I'll step on something I don't want to outside......for one thing, the neighbor's dog considers it part of his bathroom.

Inside the house.....shorts, t-shirt, and no socks...... and I love it.

And I don't use the a/c in my car often. I like to drive with the windows down. It isn't like my hair is going to get messed up.

13) Housework    

 Now that I have my own place again, the housework falls to me. I don't mind vacuuming, doing the dishes - they never sit in my sink unless it is something that needs to soak, and laundry. I even make my bed daily. But there is one things I detest: dusting. I have lived in my house since August, and have done little of it.....which is probably bad to admit. :)

14) Salt and pepper shakers

  Well over a year ago when Family Christian Bookstores were in business, I found some cool salt and pepper shakers on clearance. They are buoys. I figured if I ever got my own place again, they'd go well with my nautical decor, so I bought 2 sets.....one for the kitchen and one for the dining room. Then later, I found anchor salt and pepper shakers at another Family Christian store. They were even cooler, so I bought them.

 And then a couple of months ago, I was at Hobby Lobby and found another cool nautical salt and pepper shaker set. The shakers are plain glass, but sit in a small tray that has an anchor on it. It was on sale, so I bought it.

 Last Saturday I was at a church yard sale, and found some nice lighthouse salt and pepper shakers for 50 cents......so I bought them.

 So yeah......now I have 5 sets of nautical salt and pepper shakers for 2 rooms....... and the sad thing is I never use my dining room. The last time I ate in there was when my best friend visited in October. The table and chairs just take up space, except on occasion when I use one of the chairs to stand on....such as today when I hung my newest purchase above the door frame.



15) Masculinity

 I read last week that a college somewhere was teaching a course that calls masculinity toxic. Feminists want to feminize men and boys and make them more like them, which is ludicrous.

 This is an area I have struggled in. I am not your typical American male. I hate sports, hunting, am bad with car repairs....but I do like to shoot my pistol - and did some of that today. I think I am improving.  I like to read, I cry in books and movies, I like to decorate and buy nautical salt and pepper shakers, I enjoy shopping........

  And yeah, most likely I am wired that way because of my sexuality. But being a man isn't all about what we traditionally make it. Just in recent years, I have become more comfortable in my own skin. I don't have to be like other guys.

 And no, I am not saying all guys who enjoy the things I do are gay.

 Oddly, occasionally things will happen that make me feel a bit more like a man:

I noticed last week that the cold water was barely trickling into the washer when it was filling up. Remember, I am not good at guy stuff.... but I decided to attempt to find out what was wrong. I turned off the cold water, and unhooked the hose from the back of the washer. I dangled it in the washer and turned the water back on....it came gushing out, so I knew the water line and hose were not the issue. I shut the water off, got a flashlight, and looked at the where the hose connected to the washer. Bingo. It was clogged almost completely with a build up of something. I cleaned it out, and it is back to normal.

 And yes, I felt good about it.

 A few weeks later, I stopped at Fin Feather Fur to pick up some ammo for my pistol. I tried a new kind as the kind I usually buy was not on sale, and the aluminum ones were cheaper. For some reason, just walking into that store makes me feel patriotic and a bit more masculine. As I checked out, the young guy running the register looked the ammo over and asked if I liked shooting that kind. I admitted this was the first time I bought them. He said he usually used this other kind, and asked if I did also, which I did.

 This may sound dumb, but I walked out with a really good feeling. I had just been discussing ammo and shooting guns with a kid young enough to be my kid.

 And yes, shooting my gun makes me feel a bit more like a man than I normally do.

16) Self worth and esteem

  I have run across a few people really knocking the idea of the need for self esteem and self worth. I can't remember their reasoning, but I think the idea is it could make us proud, etc.

 I disagree. Due to the bullying I got in school and college, and a few other factors, I had little self worth and self esteem. It is something I still battle with.

 And here is the biggest problem with that: It can seriously affect one's view of and relationship with God. I did for me. I have mentioned on here before how it was nearly impossible for me for most of my life to believe God loves me..... and that was largely because I had little self worth and esteem.

 As with many things in life, there needs to be a balance. There are people who have an inflated self worth and esteem, but not having any can cripple you emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

17) How to be a perfect Christian

 If you don't follow the Babylon Bee on Facebook, you should. It is a hilarious Christian satire site that comes up with some really funny stuff.

 They just had their first book published, How to Be A Perfect Christian. The book is also satire. I was wanting to buy a copy, and got one sent to me as a gift for signing up for the publishing company's launch team for new books coming out.

 The book has had me lol -that is laughing out loud if you know your internet abbreviations. It basically pokes fun at Christian culture and all of the things Christians and churches do that are just superficial. I am only on the second chapter, and I already recommend it.



18) Reading

 I am now at 60 books into my goal of 130 for the year, almost half way. If all goes well, I should easily hit my goal.

19) My biggest regret

 My biggest regret is probably not having kids. It still hurts occasionally when I see a dad walking and holding his little boy's hand, or walking with him on his shoulders.

 But if you have paid attention - or even read all of my entries in this post-  you know why there were never any kids, or any possibility. Those were the cards I was dealt.

 I am thankful for my nieces and nephews. I doubt they will ever understand what a hole they have filled, or what their love has done for me. I am glad they are all close and I can be so much a part of their lives. They are all great kids, though I could be biased a bit.



20) Blog posts

 I love to write, and no one knows how many blog posts I have typed up and never published on here. Sometimes I just get the need to write out of my system and don't feel like going any further. Sometimes I get something off my chest and decide it is best to not publish it - something some people may wish happened more often.

 There are a couple that I have typed up that are hanging out there as I debate publishing them. One is blunt and controversial. The other is very personal, and yes....controversial.

 There was a day I would never have spoke my mind as I do now. Maybe I stopped worrying so much what people thought of me. Maybe I stopped caring about it so much. I used to be quiet because I thought no one liked me.....and I still struggle a bit in that area, but I am not quiet now..... so who knows what changed.

 Anyway, whether or not anyone reads what I write, I enjoy writing. And now I shall cease, as I have gone on much longer than I intended to.

No comments:

Post a Comment