Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thankful for a sound mind

  
As part of my job as a security guard at a hospital, I am around people in the psych unit and people being admitted to it. I can't say much about it, but I see and hear lot of sad things. Empty gazes, bizarre behavior, bizarre statements. I once had a woman try to hand me a paper towel with her feces on it . She wanted me to wrap it up and put a pretty bow on it.

  I've heard them tell things they have gone through, tell the drugs they are on, etc.... and it makes me sad. I don't laugh at them, though the incident I mentioned WAS funny. Funny, yet sad. I have silently prayed often for a patient as I stood on stand by as a nurse or doctor took vitals and got information. Will it do any good? I hope so. As I walk through the psych unit, I always try to smile and/ or speak to those who seem aware.

  It is a sad thing to not have a sound mind. Whether it be from drugs, or for other reasons. And so many of the patients are repeats. Pills and counseling can help, but not always. Jesus is the true solution, but most, maybe none of them, know that. So I pray.

  And it has made me thankful. I have thought of myself as stupid in the past. I've had times when I was frustrated with life and the way things were going. But I have always been able to think for myself, to have coherent thought. I have never had to be admitted to the hospital because of my mental state. I have never had to be put somewhere that I couldn't hurt myself.

  It is popular to joke about people who don't seem very bright, but it isn't kind. If nothing else, working in my current job has made me thankful that I have a sound mind. That I am capable of thinking for myself, and that I know the answer to all problems, even mental: Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment