Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Tuesday, January 14, 2014

He turned the water into wine

 
I've heard many people say they have read the same Bible verses over and over, and they suddenly learn something new from it, or see something in a different light.

  That happened to me the other day. I hadn't even read the Biblical account of Jesus turning the water into wine, but had seen someone bring it up as an excuse for Christians to drink. And I got to thinking about the story. It is the first recorded miracle that Jesus did. If He did any previously, they are not recorded, but it was most likely His first miracle.

 I'm not Jesus, but if I had the power to do anything, and was going to perform my first miracle, I think I'd go for something bigger. Something more meaningful than turning water into wine at a wedding. Think about it...... had He not turned the water into wine, what would have been the result? The people would have had to fall back on water. No biggie. No one injured, no one's eternal destiny was in play. Someone would have been embarrassed, and someone may have been in trouble for not having enough wine, but really in the grand scheme of things, so what?

 In modern times, it would be equivalent to running out of food at the wedding reception, or not having enough cake for all of the guests. The bride and groom would be embarrassed, and people would talk about it, but again.....nothing that major.

  Yet for His first miracle, Jesus did something that pretty much just saved someone from embarrassment.


  It is easy to think that our problems are too little to bring to God. He has bigger and more important things to do than be concerned with our little problem..... but if He was concerned with a wedding running out of wine, and performed His first miracle to save someone from being embarrassed, then surely none of our problems are too small for Him.

 The Bible says He sees the sparrow when it falls, so surely He sees our fears, worries, our small problems...... and I'd wager a guess that He is pleased when we come to Him with even the little things.

  Maybe only a guy like me who has doubted God's love all of my life, feels like my problems are too small for God, but I doubt it. And maybe that is why I got to thinking about this story, to help reaffirm that I do matter, and God does care about even my small problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment