Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Tuesday, March 6, 2018

March musings 2

1) Cooking for one
 
 I am really bad at cooking for just me, and end up throwing stuff out a lot. People keep saying you can freeze this or that, but here is the problem: There is never room in my freezer. All I have is the one above my refrigerator, and it is usually overflowing with food that is not leftovers.

 What I need is a small chest freezer, but I can't afford a new one. I found one on Facebook back in January for $50, in great condition. I told the guy I wanted it, but I couldn't have picked it up til the next day. Some woman commented after me and said she could get it that day, so he let her have it.

 It is a bit difficult to only have the amount of freezer space above a refrigerator.....but oh well.

Maybe I need the book I pictured.

2) Lunch with the nieces

 Today was my second of two days off in a row, so I asked my nieces if they wanted to meet for lunch, and they replied yes. The oldest said "long time, no uncle lunches." It was taco Tuesday at the Mexican restaurant we like, but I wasn't in the mood for tacos. I suggested our favorite pizza place instead, so we met at Wedgewood Pizza in Salem. The youngest was in school, so it was the two oldest girls. It means a lot to me that my nieces and nephews are always willing to hang out with me, whether it be to play games or go out to eat.

3) Today's project

 When I have 2 days off in a row, I usually take it easy one of the days, and do cleaning, laundry, etc on the other. Today I decided it was time to tackle my storage room. I have a room on the first floor that has a concrete floor, and is where I stick things I don't know where else to put. The room had gotten out of hand, and you could hardly get through the door. There were plastic totes everywhere in there. I organized the ones that had Christmas in them and consolidated a bit. I had bought a larger tote than I had so my Christmas tree would fit in. I also finally brought in the tree from the porch. Most of the reason was it has been so wet and/or cold lately, I was waiting for a couple of dry nicer days to get it in.....and today was the day. I got it in a tote and put it in the storage room.

 I also threw out a lot of stuff I didn't need, including a wooden chair that my sister left.... and it wasn't worth keeping. It actually burnt pretty well with all of the other stuff I burnt. Among the mess was several empty totes, so I got them separated out and stacked in a corner. The room looks much better and organized now.



4) Billy Graham

 I was never a follower of Billy Graham. To be blunt, I am always suspicious of celebrity type preachers. I may be wrong, but I believe if any preacher actually preaches the truth and not a watered down Gospel, he will not be applauded by so many.

 I do believe he was a good man, and he lived a scandal-free life, which is more than you can say for many others like him. I have heard and read how careful he was to never have anything inappropriate happen, and he guarded his reputation well. It does appear he preached a prosperity Gospel, and died with a $25 million worth...

 I have never read a book or heard a sermon by him. It is sad he is gone, but it doesn't really make much difference in my life.

 And I know.. I probably just committed heresy in some people's eyes for daring to be slightly critical of the man.

5) The funeral

 I have seen several people posting about Trump being the only living president to go to Graham's funeral. A few thoughts on that:

I really don't care who went and who did not. Seriously.

The funeral was invitation only, so he may be the only one invited.

George W and Laura Bush paid their respects before the funeral.

Imagine the nightmare had all living presidents decided to attend. I think it is better that the rest did not.

I am weary of people posting about Trump being the only president to do this or that. It only makes it more difficult for me to keep my mouth shut, which is what Trump voters and supporters want.

 The thing is, Trump is also the first "Republican" president to do a lot of other stuff, but the same people don't post about that and don't want it brought up. I posted that on Facebook and about started a war. :)

 If these people don't want criticisms of Trump, then they shouldn't go overboard praising him and defending him.

He has done some things I agree with, but I still believe my party should never have made him our choice, and I still don't like him.

 What is most frustrating, is the idea is given that I can only criticize presidents and presidential candidates that conservatives and Christians don't support.... criticize Obama and Hillary...definitely. Trump? No way. We voted for him, so you aren't allowed to say anything bad about him.

6) Feeling masculine

  We are so constantly deluged with ideas of what is manly and masculine....yet many of those things are not what the Bible would indicate are traits of a real man. i.e. playing sports, watching sports, drinking beer, chewing, fishing, hunting, sleeping with as many women as you can, etc.

 I'll admit I have struggled in this area all of my life. I wasn't just disinterested in sports.....I was terrible at them. I don't know much about cars, and would rather pay Walmart to change my oil than do it myself. I changed the brake pads on my last car, but only felt extremely frustrated....not masculine.

 I'm not even attracted to the right gender. Oh, that is something that plays over and over in my head.."you're such a failure as a man, you aren't even attracted to women."

 My Sunday School teacher had an excellent message recently in church on the issue of a real man according to the Bible. That needs to be our source for what makes a man. We need to stop letting the world and Hollywood dictate what makes a real man.

 All that aside, I was in a sporting good store last week, and bought a gun cleaning kit and some ammo for my pistol while there......and I felt very masculine surrounded by several guys buying guns, ammo, and other "guy" stuff.



7) School shootings

  There is still more coming out about this last shooting that makes it obvious that law enforcement really dropped the ball. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I have wondered before if these shootings are at least allowed to happen.....if not orchestrated to help the cause to ban guns. This last shooting almost sounds like it was wanted to happen. And any time there is a shooting, the media and liberals start blaming the NRA and Republicans, while screaming for more gun control before the bodies are even in the morgue. I believe they are almost happy for another occasion to further their agenda to disarm law abiding Americans.

8) Garden

 I would like to plant some tomatoes this summer, but not sure if they would survive here. I have already seen rabbits hanging around, and deer are often in the field across from my house. The wildlife may just think it is their salad bar....but I love fresh tomatoes from the garden. Sure, I can get them from my parents, but I am not there every day like I was when I was living with them.

 And I am not sure where to plant them.

9) My pencil tree

 I bought a pencil tree half off after Christmas. My intent was to decorate it for different holidays and seasons, but it still has what I put on it in January. Granted, February was kind of nuts with my having to move out for 2 1/2 weeks..... and St Patrick's Day is just another day to me, so I don't do anything for it..... including decorating.

 In addition to the tree, I put white lights around the ceiling. I had colored ones for Christmas, and really liked sitting in the living room with just the tree and those lights, so I put white ones up for the rest of the year so I can enjoy that when it isn't Christmas.

10) Suing gun manufacturers 

 There are still ongoing lawsuits by families from Sandy Hook against Remington. However, if one can go after a gun maker in those instances, then when someone is killed or hurt by a drunk driver, shouldn't the beer manufacturer and the bar where the person drank be able to be sued?

11) Changing the age

 I am not really for changing the age to buy guns to 18. The majority of shooters in these shootings are well over 18. To me, it seems like something they are putting out there so it looks like they are doing something to the crowd screaming against guns. If an 18 year old isn't mature enough to own a gun, they aren't old enough to vote.

12) Books

 I really do need to get rid of some of my books, but I have no idea where. I hate the idea of having to list them on line and mail them, but the only place I know of to trade them in for cash is Halfprice books....the nearest one is in Pittsburgh, and I was very unhappy with all I got out of the last ones I took there.

I also need to weed out my CDs.....same problem. I think I need a garage sale.

13) Porch furniture

 I would like to get a couple of chairs, possibly a small table of some kind, and maybe some kind of ottoman for my front porch.....though visitors are so rare, one chair may be enough. :)

 My back porch has a porch swing, but I would like something for my front porch also.



14) My book

 A few years ago, I started writing a book. I got up to around 55,000 words.....if I remember correctly. A few people read what I wrote and liked it, but then my depression hit hard and I never finished it. I still have it sitting in a file on my computer, and lately I have felt like I should work on it....but I don't feel the drive or creativity to do so. Maybe some day.

15) Blogging

 I am making an attempt to blog more than I had been....but for now, I don't have ideas for a whole blog post. Maybe those will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment