Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Christmas I lost Jesus...... and I talk to a porcelin baby Jesus

   I'll never forget the year I lost Jesus. I think it was around 14 or 15 years ago. And I didn't just lose Him. I lost the whole gang: Mary, Joseph, the wise men, shepherd, cow, sheep, donkey, and camel. Gone. Lost. I wasn't necessarily devastated, but I was definitely morose and disappointed.

  The Nativity scene is my favorite Christmas decoration. Its more than a decoration, but is a reminder of what Christmas is all about, so I was definitely bummed out. I looked high and low, but no luck. I'd just moved from an apartment into the bottom of a duplex, and in the shuffle of moving, I'd lost Him. And His entourage.

  Looking back, I don't know why I didn't buy another. I really like the one I have, but a person could have two, couldn't they? As long as both baby Jesus don't wind up in the same stable, two would be OK. Maybe I couldn't afford to buy something I knew was in the house somewhere. Whatever the reason, I went the whole Christmas season with no Nativity scene to gaze at. It was a mite depressing.



  This may sound weird, and hopefully no one will have me put in a psych unit for admitting it, but I talk to the baby Jesus in my Nativity scene. Yeah, you read that right. I talk to a porcelain baby Jesus. Don't worry.... he doesn't talk back, and I'd be a bit freaked out if he did. And no, he isn't an idol :-)

  I have always loved to look at the Nativity scene and imagine what that night was like. To have been there. To be one of the shepherds who had had angels appear to them, or one of the wise men, those men who gave Jesus His first gifts.

  I can't step into the scene, but wish I could. As I gaze at the stable I have set up, I have often found myself praying. I am looking at a porcelain baby Jesus as I pray - and a hand-painted one at that!  - but I'm not really praying or talking to it. I'm talking to the real Jesus who died on the cross for me. I find myself talking to Him about Christmas, about how thankful I am that He came, about how I wonder what it was like, of how I want Him to have all of me, as I don't know what else to give Him.

  And isn't that the best thing, and all He wants? All of us? I've been so guilty in the past of having the wrong views of God, and thus holding onto parts of me that He wasn't really getting. This Christmas, I want Him to have it all. I'm not a wise man, though some would say I am a wise guy, but I can't help but believe all of me is more important to Him than the gifts those wise men gave so long ago.

  You can knock me talking to a porcelain baby Jesus, but that little piece of porcelain helps bring the meaning of Christmas to mind, and helps me focus more on why He came. To help me remember its not the shopping, gift giving, cantatas, programs, cookies, and all of  the other Christmas trimmings, its Him that matters.


  I think we are all a little prone to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of Christmas. We worry about finding the right gifts for everyone, and worry about someone giving us a gift who we haven't bought for.

  We have parties, programs, and Christmas busyness coming out of our ears, and its so easy to lose Jesus in it all. I don't want to do that. Its a time set aside to remember and celebrate His birth........ and should not Christians find  the best ways to celebrate his birth that will best honor Him and help us remember Him? Maybe we all need to take time to pray and even if we have done it before, give Him our all again. I don't think He'd mind.

  There is a story I have shared before, but it comes to mind every year around this time, and it won't hurt to share it again:

 A young couple had tried for years to have a baby, but with no success. Finally, when they had lost all hope, it happened. A baby boy was born into their empty arms. They were thrilled! After he was brought home, they threw a party in his honor, so that all of their friends and family could meet the little prince who had made their lives complete.

After all of the guests had arrived, someone finally asked to see the little guy. The joyous celebration turned somber as they realized no one knew where he was. A frantic search began all through the house until finally he was found. On the bed where all of the guests' coats had been piled, nearly suffocated to death.


  No, we won't suffocate Jesus under a bunch of coats, but we can get so caught up in the busyness of Christmas, that we lose sight of Him. It would do us all good to take a step back, just stay home an evening and think about Him, and why He came. Thank Him for coming, for dying for us, and find some way to give back. Its all about Him, isn't it time we act like it? I'm going to go tell my porcelain baby Jesus so......





And by the way, my Nativity set was found after Christmas was over, and that was the only year I didn't put it up, but it was not the only year I lost Jesus during His birthday celebration.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Mark. It is a good reminder for us to keep God's perspective throughout this Christmas season. i may have to share your story about the young couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mark! I love this whole piece! Mind if I share it? Sharon

    ReplyDelete