Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Sunday, December 17, 2023

Blue Christmas

  


A few years ago, I saw a church sign advertising a Blue Christmas service. I was curious, and looked it up:


"Blue Christmas Service is a Western Christian tradition that happens on or around the longest night of the year, usually December 21 the Winter Solstice. It is about comforting fellow Christians who are grieving and struggling to find joy and hope during the season."

  I love Christmas, but have been struggling this year to get in the mood. I was late listening to Christmas music - and I usually start in late September or early October. I didn't feel like decorating, and wasn't going to....but that didn't set well with my nieces. The youngest and oldest with her baby (my great niece!) came over last week and put my tree and other decorations up while I babysat. That kind of kick-started me, so I have decorated more and have gotten into the mood more. And finally did my Christmas shopping.

 My depression has been really bad, and seasonal depression seems to be jumping on also. I work Christmas day. Again. The Buzard family Christmas is going to be crammed into a few hours Christmas Eve between Sunday dinner and the Christmas Candlelight service. I am still not extremely in the mood.

 But I have my whole family. And I am thankful for that. So I really don't have it that bad. There will be a lot of people facing Christmas for the first time this year without a loved one. And others still grieving from other years.


  I have a friend at work - she actually works in my doctor's office, which is in the hospital. She is a great person, and one of my favorite people at the hospital. Five years ago, her husband passed away suddenly. She isn't one of those people who remarried before the grass grew over the burial plot. She is still sad a lot of days. I give her a hug once in a while when I know she is having a bad day with it. She told me recently that it is really hard on the yearly occasions. Holidays, his birthday, their anniversary. Thankfully she has two little great grandkids that help, but she and many others struggle with grief at this time of year, missing someone who will not be at the family gatherings. There will be no gift under the tree to or from them.

 I stopped at the local grocery store after work last night, and asked the lady ringing me up "Are you ready for Christmas?" She made a face, and said "well, I haven't really celebrated the last few years since my dad passed away around Christmas." I made some sympathetic comments, and then told her about these Blue Christmas services some churches have. She seemed interested and said she might check it out.

  As so many of us celebrate, make merry, and get into the season, it doesn't really occur to a lot of us that not everyone feels merry this time of year. Many are sad and grieving because of losses of loved ones this year, or other years. There is no time limit on grief. Some people seem to move on more easily, and others never seem to. And there is nothing wrong with that.

 These last few years have been tough on a lot of people. Covid has affected so many so differently. My entire family has had it twice. I had it bad enough the first time that I was admitted to the hospital I work at for 5 days, but no one else in the family had it very bad other than me the fist time. But others lost family members to it. And many of them are still grieving over their loss.



 There is something we all need to remember at this time of year. The celebrating, gift giving, decking the halls - that is all well and good, as long as you keep Christ in your Christmas. But, to use a much overused phrase - remember the Reason for the Season. All of these people grieving and sad....they are part of the reason Jesus came. He came for us. God sent His only Son to this earth as an innocent baby that would grow up and die for the sins of the world. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."(ESV)



 That is Christmas. Not the lights, parties, gift exchanges. It is about the Savior who can save, heal, comfort. One doesn't need all the celebrating to observe Christmas. We can all kneel at the manger, worship the Savior, and seek his comfort and help.

 There was sadness and grief the first Christmas. When the wise men came seeking Jesus all those years ago, King Herod had all the babies in the area of Bethlehem killed.

 So let's be considerate of those grieving during the holidays. Do something nice for them. They may not feel like attending a Christmas party or service, but a small gift, supper dropped off, a gift card, etc. might help them a little.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Grief is so personal and must be worked out as seems best to the person grieving. I do think the losses I have suffered were a bit easier to bear when I knew the person loved God and was now in His presence. I miss my sister so much. But, I picture her filled with joy and peace and it helps. When I am longing to talk to her, I ask Jesus to tell her I love her, and somehow I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said this so well! No decorating at my house, except a little something on my front door. I just couldn’t do it. Life changes and we learn to live with all the changes that come - at some point. Is it easy? Not always! Thank you for your understanding heart!

    ReplyDelete