Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Sunday, October 2, 2016

Chatting with Shirley

   For the last 5 weeks or so, I have spend my afternoons outside in the Emergency Department parking lot. They are putting in a new helipad, and had to make most of the ED parking lot a temporary helipad. That means most people have to park elsewhere for now. I have to stand out there and tell people where to park, and where not to park - the ambulance bay is a popular place for people to try to park.

    As I stood out there Saturday afternoon, a lady who works in the ED came walking out to leave for the day. Shirley is a lady in her late 50's or early 60's, and is a unit clerk/secretary. She is also a cancer survivor. I walked over to her and chatted with her as she walked. She got to the concrete bench I stand by and where I set my drink and also my hat when I am not wearing it. Stating she had to take a break before she walked the rest of the way, she sat on the bench. I sat down by here and we continued to chat.

   I told her about buying a house - she lives in the same town. She told me about a good place around there to buy wings, a place that uses her recipe she gave them. And then I asked her how she is doing. She has been in remission for a year, and recently some test showed something that the doctor was concerned about. It turned out to be nothing, thankfully. She said she hopes that her kids never have to deal with this cancer stuff, and told me a little more about what it is like to go through it and the treatments.

   She has never walked well, but the chemo not only took her hair, but it also did damage to her hip, and she now has even more trouble walking... hence the break on the bench. Eventually she stood up, we exchanged good-byes and "have a good day", and she walked off to her car.

    After she left, I sat there and thought. People that go through cancer have to be tough. Even if they get rid of it all, there are side effects and the person has to live with the knowledge that it could come back at any time, and the next time it might not go away.

    I don't know how anyone without Christ in their heart and life could live that way. I don't know if Shirley knows my Jesus, but as I sat there and thought about her and other people who have gone through cancer, I said a silent prayer for her, and thanked God for the people he has put in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment