Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Content at Christmas

 My family is big on wish lists for birthdays and Christmas. They are helpful when family members need ideas of what to buy. As I sat with pen in hand earlier this month to make my wish list, I realized there isn't much that I need or want. I actually had difficulty coming up with very many things to put on my wish list. Granted, I tend to buy what I need and want throughout the year within reason; but I realized as I looked at my rather short wish list that I am blessed.

  My pastor preached on covetousness the last two Sundays and worked Christmas into it. Christmas is the time we celebrate Jesus' birth and have an emphasis on giving, goodwill, and peace on earth. Unfortunately, it has turned into a time of getting and greed on earth. Stores put out ads advertising low prices and people trample each other and act like savages to get a good deal or the one new item that everyone has to have. Every year there is the one hard to find item that everyone wants: Cabbage Patch dolls, Tickle Me Elmos, Furbees, and the endless list goes on.

  A few years ago, Snuggies were popular. A Snuggie is a blanket with arms. I thought they sounded neat and like a good idea, so it went on my wish list..... and I got one for Christmas. Unfortunately, I looked like a pregnant monk with it on; and it was more of a bother than anything.

  Maybe the reason is two fold that I have difficulty coming up with a wish list. As I stated already, I am blessed and am not in want or need. I also believe what is important to us changes the older we get. I still enjoy getting gifts, but I enjoy giving more than I used to and what I want are not things.

  Yesterday, I picked up my three nephews and took them Christmas shopping for their parents and for each other. We met my three nieces at Walmart and did some shopping there and then went to the Dollar Tree (only a dollar store). After they shopped there to their heart's content. or actually until the boys each spent the $5 I had given each of them; we went to a local pizza place where I had ordered two large pepperoni pizzas. We added two two-liter bottles of pop and a bag of Doritos and chowed down.



  I brought the boys home with me so they could wrap their purchases. I discovered I am not the world's worst wrapper after all..... my nine year old nephew beats me in that department. My wallet was a bit lighter, and so were my spirits.

 And what had I gotten out of the day? I had bought iced tea and cheese, and shared pizza and pop with the kids; but no one bought me anything, And yet, I felt an extreme sense of happiness and satisfaction. I had spent time with my six favorite kids and helped make their day better. I had helped my nephews buy some gifts for their parents and for each other. I felt content.

  Christmas is all about giving. God gave His Son so we could have hope and be forgiven. It isn't about getting or being greedy. This Christmas, I want to be with my family and watch them as they open their gifts.... sure, I like to get gifts, and I will be thankful and happy with what I get; but I'll already have what I need most: God and my family.

 This song says it better:

My Christmas List:

Verse 1:
Filling out my Christmas list
Just like every other kid
Dreaming big, wishing for a lot
A brand new bike and matchbox cars
A telescope so I could see the stars, a BB gun or a slingshot
Now I can't remember half of what I got

Chorus:
But that's what I wanted, that's all I needed
And I wouldn't ask for another thing
I'd be happy, if only
I could get those few simple Christmas gifts
On my Christmas list

Verse 2:
Before I knew a few years passed
I was wide-eyed and growing up fast
Started asking for more important stuff
A stereo to turn up loud, a new guitar so I could rock out
And maybe a car, if it ain't too much
Back then I thought that would be enough

Chorus:
Cause that's what I wanted, that's all I needed
And I wouldn't ask for another thing
I'd be happy, if only
I could get those few simple Christmas gifts
On my Christmas list

Verse 3:
A few years later, here I am
Seeing the world as a grown up man
My perspective sure has changed
We're nowhere close to peace on earth
But my new wish for what it's worth
Is for the ones I love to be healthy and safe
And all our soldiers come home to stay, I pray


Chorus:
That's what I wanted, that's all I needed
And I wouldn't ask for another thing
I'd be happy, if only
I could get those few simple Christmas gifts
On my Christmas list


No comments:

Post a Comment