Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Bible tells me so

 
 Anyone who has been around church at all has most likely sang it at some point: " Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.........Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so."

  But what if the Bible is wrong? What if it is a book of fairy tales put together by men and isn't the Word of God?

 I recently had someone insist that the Bible is a book of fairy tales, that it is full of errors and contradictions, and that man wrote it, so it is man's ideas. I have been thinking about this, and I respectfully disagree.

  When you grow up in the church as I did, it is easy to believe everything Mom and Dad, the preacher, and your Sunday School teacher say. You just take their word for it when they say something, and everything is just hunky dory.

  And then you become an adult. You get out on your own and encounter other ideas and philosophies. You can't ride the coat tails of Mom and Dad's religion anymore, but have to forge out your own belief system and your own relationship with God. You may encounter someone telling you the things about the Bible I have recently been told. You may encounter people telling you God isn't real, and more. And that is when the rubber meets the road. Do you truly believe what you have been taught for years? Is this God truly real to you, or will you be persuaded that He isn't real, and the Bible is just something man came up with?

  So here is what I believe about the Bible:

1) It is the inspired and inerrant Word of God.

2) Man did indeed write the Bible, but were inspired by God what to write.

3) The Bible, God's Word, is still applicable for today and whatever we face in life. It has the answers to whatever we need.

4) God is powerful enough and knows everything and is more than capable to see to it that His Word could survive thousands of years of translating, copying, and more and still say what He wants it to say and be what He wants it to be.

5) No matter how inconvenient the truths therein, they are still truth and the Word of God.

6) Yes, the Bible says in both the Old and new Testaments that homosexuality is a sin, and that anyone who engages in that sin will not go to Heaven.

7) And yes, abortion is murder and condemned as sin by the same Bible.

8) I believe the Bible should be read daily, but not as something to just check off a list, or as a way to gain favor with God, but instead as a way to grow in our relationship with God and to have Him speak.

9) I believe it is better to read one verse and get help and truth from it, then to read a chapter or two and walk away with nothing other than feeling we did our Christian duty for the day.

10) I believe all of mankind will be judged some day by how we lived in according to the words in the Bible.


No comments:

Post a Comment