Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Thursday, July 16, 2015

Calling God a liar.....thoughts from a walk

  I took a walk this evening with my iPod plugged in. A favorite Praise and Worship by Chris Tomlin played, My Grace Is Enough." I have a lot of "stuff" on my mind. There are doubts and fears of tomorrow, and as the song played, the thought went across my mind "not sure there is enough grace for me." Immediately, I felt a rebuke from God.

   The Bible talks a lot about trusting God and not doubting Him. It is easy to pull our righteous robes around us and like the rich young ruler, announce we have kept all of God's commandments from our youth up, yet many of us doubt God...... and maybe it is a bigger thing to Him than we want to admit.

 Something that hit me as I walked and thought about doubting God, is we basically call God a liar when we doubt Him.

He says "My grace is enough for you". I say "no it isn't".
He says "I love you with an everlasting love." I say "you can't possibly love me."
He says "I know what is best for you". I say "no, I know what is best for me."
He says "I have a purpose for your life." I say "You can't possibly."

 No matter how you slice or dice it, we are calling God a liar when we tell Him things like that. And I am sure I am not the only person who does it.

  God isn't like us with our vulnerabilities and emotions, though He loves and experiences anger, jealousy, and other emotions. Can you hurt God's feelings? I don't think so, at least not in the way we are hurt, but He must experience some emotion when we basically call Him a liar. Imagine how that would make us feel?



  What if you told your spouse you loved them and they were the only one for you, and they replied saying they were sure you loved someone else more. Or you told your kids you loved them and they replied with incredulity and said if you did, then why......

  Most of us rarely say things like that to the loved ones in our lives... if you do, than your marriage and family need help..... yet we dare to talk to the the God of the universe that way? To tell Him He is wrong when it comes to us. If you really think about it, it is complete arrogance on our part to tell God we don't think He is right.

  The best thing we can do when the temptations to doubt and infer or tell God He is wrong, is to do like Thomas. Just say "I believe, help my unbelief."


No comments:

Post a Comment