Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tearing down our veil

 
I read something in a devotional a couple of days ago that has got me to thinking. About veils. No, not the kind brides wear (why do they wear them? Everyone knows what they look like already). Veils that are between God and us.

  It isn't God's fault if there is a veil between He and us. After all, Jesus' death on the cross ripped the veil in the temple in half, signifying that there is nothing between God and us. There used to be. For years, He dwelt in the Holy of Holies, and only at certain times could a high priest go in there as a representative for the rest of the people. And there couldn't be anything wrong in his life, or he'd drop dead. Only he could go in past the veil. And that veil wasn't just for show. There was a literal separation between God and man.

  Then when Jesus died on the cross, the veil in the temple was torn from the top to the bottom, showing that we didn't need a high priest to go as an in between anymore. We could go straight into the presence of Jesus, no need for a priest. (Sorry, my Catholic friends) :)

  And yet, we put the veil back up. Not a literal one, but it might as well be.

  We mess up, fall short, sin.... whatever you want to call it, and are ashamed. So we fear going to God.

  We think our problem is too small to bother Him with, or too big for Him to handle, so we pray with unbelief or fear between God and us.

 And all the while, God is waiting for us to come with no veil, no holds barred, nothing held back, no reservations, fears of approaching the God of the universe.

  Maybe I'm the only one, but I doubt it. A lot of us go through it at some period, or maybe for most of our Christian walk.

  For years, I had a thick veil.... or more like a wall, between God and I. I wanted to serve God. I wanted to believe and do right, but due to more than one thing in my life, I couldn't quite believe He loved me. It is hard to have any kind of close relationship with someone if you doubt their love for you, especially when it is God you're doubting.

  Thankfully, that veil is gone, though it took years for it to go, yet a veil still pops up occasionally. The Bible says we can go boldly into the throne of grace. God is our Father, and we have nothing to fear if we are serving Him.

  I love the story of Esther. I have two favorite parts of the story. One is when she approaches the king with her request, knowing if he doesn't extend his scepter, she will be killed. But he does.



  I sometimes approach God the same way, as if He may strike me dead or ignore me if He isn't in the right mood. That my request might not be worth His time, or I might not be good enough for Him to grant me audience.  But that isn't His way. And better than the story of Esther, He doesn't extend a scepter. He extends open arms. He puts up no barriers, no veil or wall, just open arms.

 We are the ones who put up barriers. Our fears, our sins or shortcomings, our doubts and disbelief.

 If we really think about it, we aren't too bright for doing so. The God of the universe had His only Son die on a cross for our sins so there would be no barriers or veils. So we could call Him Father and not go fearfully into His presence, but run as a child eager to see his father.

  God tore the veil in the temple, but it is up to us to tear down any veils between He and us now. And it is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment