Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Friday, October 25, 2013

The day I became an uncle

   I became an uncle at the age of 26. I was one majorly excited guy. I grew up with two sisters, and had wanted a brother in the worst way, and had even prayed for one until I decided my mom was too old to have another kid, then quit praying for one.

   When I found out my sister was pregnant, I was hoping for a nephew. I figured since I never got the brother I wanted, a nephew would be cool. As the day got closer, the more I anticipated getting a nephew. I made the statement to family and coworkers, that if it was a girl, I was having nothing to do with her. I wasn't going to hold her, wasn't going to play with her.

  The day finally came. October 25, 1995. I joined the rest of my family in the waiting room, waiting for my nephew to arrive...... but it wasn't a nephew. It was a niece. I was bummed. And a little upset. I had even prayed for a nephew. But I had got a niece. Stephanie Marie Giles.



  It didn't take me long to get over being bummed and upset. I was living in a duplex underneath my sister and her husband, and I would race home from work to hold, feed, and play with this little bundle of joy that had made me an uncle. I'd proudly carry her into where I worked to show her off, and be reminded of what I had said... ouch. So much for that.

  Two months later, I spent more money on Christmas gifts for this new little person in our family than I had ever spent on one person for Christmas, ever. I loved being an uncle, even to a little girl, and dove headfirst into it.


   A couple of years after her birth, along came another niece. Two years later, another niece. By the time I got the first of my three nephews in 2001, my nieces had me wrapped firmly around their fingers. And due to my nephews not living close by, I am to this day closer to my nieces than my nephews. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Since I don't have kids of my own, and never will, I probably have a closer relationship to all 6 of my nieces and nephews than some uncles or aunts. It makes this bachelor uncle feel very good when my nieces want to spend time with me, and I love playing games with them, taking them out to eat, shopping etc.





  Kids grow up way too fast. I can hardly believe that little bundle is turning eighteen years old today, October 25. The age we call turning an adult. I find myself a bit misty-eyed. Where have the years gone? That little baby is a confident and talented young lady who is a whiz at her studies. She plays the piano (far better than I can), the violin, viola, and cello. She's a great kid who is respectful and causes no trouble nor gets into any. A young lady I am proud to be uncle to.

So happy 18th birthday, Stephanie. I love you tons, as I do your sisters and cousins, but you are the one who made me an uncle 18 years ago. My very favorite title to wear. Why did you have to grow up so fast?!



No comments:

Post a Comment