Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Monday, December 17, 2012

Poinsettias for my friends

My church started a neat tradition several years back. To help decorate the church, anyone can buy potted poinsettias for a friend or family member. They can be done in honor of, or in memory of. The front of the church is filled with the flowers and an insert is put in the church bulletin saying who bought them for and why. I don't have the money to buy poinsettias for all of my friends, but decided to give some "virtual" poinsettias here. Some of the people will never see this blog post, but that is OK.

Church is more than a building. It is people, therefore no church is perfect, including mine. There are things I would like to change about mine, but there have been things I would have liked to change about any church I have attended, but people make up a church, not services or how we do things. I attend church with some great people. Some I know well, and others not so much. Some I interact with regularly, and some I do not. So here are your virtual poinsettias. And I appreciate others also, but these are the ones who stand out to me, in church, and out of church. And my family is a given, so not listing them here :-)

1) Stan & Sandra: You are the best pastors I have ever had. It takes a lot to run a church our size without a bunch of assistants, but you do it, and do it well. You are more than my pastors, you are great friends. I will never forget the time, effort, and prayers you have put forth on my behalf. We are blessed to have you.

2) Steve Goodenow: You are a great Sunday School teacher. I am amazed at how easy it is for you to pull a topic together and teach a great lesson on it. I appreciate your life and your friendship, and your family. Our church and school are lucky to have you guys. Thanks for your prayers and friendship.

3) Denise: In spite of the fact that you are very outspoken with your opinion of my choice of a haircut, I appreciate you a lot. I enjoy our occasional sparring. Thanks for your Christian example and for all you do for our church and school.

4) Jim and Lydia: Your musical talents add so much to our services. I wish I could play as well as you, and will never forget the times you complimented me on my own playing. It meant a lot coming from someone's playing I hold in such regard. I have to admit, I almost enjoy it when you make a mistake, Jim.... makes you seem more human ;-)

5) Burton & Becky: I was so happy when your family began attending our church. Your family has added so much to our church over the years. I appreciate you both, and your friendship. Your family has been through a lot, but you still shine through it all and are a tremendous encouragement and example to us all.

6) Brad: Thanks for always taking time to say hi to me. I admire you a lot and wish I was more like you. You're a great guy and are raising a great family. Thanks for your service to our country.

7) Victor and Ruth: You are another family that has added so much to our church in the years you have attended since you left the mission field. Thanks Ruth for always giving a cheery greeting, and Victor, you are doing a great job as Sunday School superintendent. You both are great examples to everyone in the church.

8) The Dyes: I am sorry for the circumstances that led to your retirement as pastors, but am glad you picked Salem to move to. I appreciate and love you guys, and Mrs. Dye as much as I tease you, I appreciate you a lot. Thanks for being such a great sport and giving back as good as you take it. May God bless you for the blessing you are to others.

9) Brant: You are by far the best song leader I have ever been around. I can tell you put a lot of time and prayer into what songs you pick. I appreciate your life and your family. Keep up the great work, and don't go away so much. We miss you when you aren't there.

10) Lori: I appreciate your life and the example  you give to the kids you teach. I appreciate your comments in Sunday School class and wish I were half as good at expressing my thoughts as well as you do. I am very happy for you on your upcoming marriage. Nate is a lucky guy, and you deserve happiness. Thanks for your friendship.

11) Rodney: Thanks for being my seat buddy in Sunday School class and for making me laugh.

12) Ken & Carol: I appreciate your friendship over the years. You are the kind of friends who would do anything to help others. Our church is blessed indeed to have you guys as part of our congregation. You both are great examples to us all. And I love to hear you guys sing.

13) Arnie & Pam: You are great folks and I appreciate you both. Pam, you are a shining example through your physical problems.

14) Paul & Sue: Paul, we are complete opposites. You are good at whatever you do, and I'm not. You are an avid hunter, and it bores me, but I admire you a lot and wish I was more like you. I know just a bit of how much you talk to people about God, and if we were all like you, our church would be a much better place. You guys are doing a first rate job of raising your kids. Thanks for your friendship and example.

15) Mike & Brenda: Thanks for your friendship. You are both great people, and Brenda you are one of the friendliest and most cheerful people I know. I'm glad you guys moved back here, I missed having you at our church.

16) Barb & David: You two do a lot behind the scenes at church, but it doesn't go unnoticed. Before I even knew who you two were,  I was impressed with how friendly you guys are. I appreciate you guys and the lives you lead.

17) Stephen and Jenny: Jenny,  I've literally watched you grow up from birth to a great young woman. You have turned out great, and you two make a wonderful couple. Stephen, you are one of my favorite singers and I still wish they would have you solo more than you do, though you and Jenny sound great together also. I wish I could sing like you. I appreciate you both, and may God bless your lives and your family. And Jenny, that was a very nice thing you did giving out cards to some of the girls in church. I read my nieces' cards and thought it was awesome of you. You are a lot like your mother.

Facebook:
There are way too many friends on facebook to mention, but a few out who I have never met:

1) Avis: I enjoy your posts. You always have something encouraging and inspiring to say. I also love to read the funny things your grandsons say.

2) Joyce H: Ditto to everything above except the grandkids. Thanks for adding me as a friend :-)

3) Ronie: You truly are one of my favorite authors and I feel blessed to have you as a facebook friend. I love your books and its cool to be able to keep up with a favorite author in this way. I have learned a lot about the military and military war dogs from your books and posts. May God bless you for using your awesome talents for Him. And thanks to Brian for his service to our country.

4) Candace: I love your facebook posts, especially the ones about food. Wish I lived close enough to try out some of it in person ;-). You are another tremendous author. Thanks for writing for God.

5) Kathy: I have been hooked on your books since I read the first one, Tested By Fire. You have only gotten better since then. You are a great author and lady. I enjoy your facebook posts and pictures you post. Thanks for letting this guy be part of your facebook friend family. And thanks for writing Christian fiction and using your talents for God. May He richly bless you and your writing.

6) Mike: It didn't take you long to become a favorite author. God is using you through your writing and your own story of being a cancer survivor. You are an encouragement and inspiration. I hope you can find a way to keep writing and balance everything else in your life. I pray God's richest blessings on you and your family.

7) Kimberly and Kayla: You two have only written two books so far, but they are outstanding. Knowing a little about what your family has gone through with Kayla, I admire you a lot. Kayla, you seem like a terrific young lady. Keep serving God and keep writing with your mother. And thanks for letting readers like me be a small part of your lives through facebook.

8) John Myers: I've never met you, but enjoy interacting with you on facebook. I appreciate what I know of you. Thanks for adding me as a friend.

Other friends:
1) Joy: I wish we had known each other when you were at AWC. You're an awesome person and have taught me a lot whether or not you know it. Thanks for your friendship.

2) Rachel: So glad to hook up with an old college buddy after all these years. You have been and are a great encouragement to me, and I have learned a lot from you. Thanks for being my friend and for being so willing to discuss all sorts of things with me, even things we disagree on.

3) Jennifer: I'm so glad we met up at Cracker Barrel a couple of years ago and have renewed our friendship. I think you are an awesome lady and wish some of your awesomeness would rub off on me. I've enjoyed our visits and chats. Wish we could do it more often. God has used you in my life. Thanks for your example and encouragement.

4) Matt & Christina: I haven't known you guys well for very long, but have enjoyed getting to know you. Matt, I have really enjoyed and appreciated being able to talk to you about "stuff." It has been a big help to me. You two have also helped me to see some things differently and to be less judgmental about some issues I used to view as black and white. Thanks for your friendship. You are a great couple, and I'm glad you got your little one. You'll make great parents, don't worry.

5) Steven: Thanks for being my best friend. In a perfect world, we wouldn't live 400 miles apart and would see each other more often. Thanks for always being there. Even though I tease you a lot about stuff we don't agree on, you know I think you're the best.

6) Cindy and Russell: I feel blessed to have gotten to know you so well, Cindy. I enjoyed hanging out with you in Indiana and beating you all the time in Rook. You deserved a great guy, and I kept telling you that God would send you the right guy. If you hadn't married Russell, that might have happened....... ;-). Just kidding. You guys make a great couple and I'm happy you found each other. Thanks for your friendship.

7) The Matlocks: Thanks for accepting me and befriending me while I lived in Indiana. You are a great family and I count myself blessed for knowing you. Its always good to see you all when I visit and I miss you all.

8) Kimmy and Kevin: I will never forget how much you guys were there for me when I needed it most. Thanks for your friendship. I miss working with you Kimmy.

9) Sandie: Looking back, I am awed that you entrusted me with Jason while I was his big brother. Thanks for your friendship and the privilege of that experience. It was supposed to help Jason, but it helped me too.

10) Shawn and Christa: I appreciate you guys, thanks for your friendship.


Thanks to all who know the worst about me and still consider me their friend and someone worthwhile. Your prayers and encouraging words are much appreciated.

I have probably missed some people, and just because your name isn't listed here doesn't mean I don't appreciate or like you, but these are some who come to mind first and have been special to me in some way or another. Merry Christmas everyone.




1 comment:

  1. Very honored to have made the list. Thank you. I miss working with you too. We had a lot of fun! Merry Christmas! We will have to get together again soon.

    ReplyDelete