Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Monday, November 14, 2016

Taking time to help someone

    My car was overdue for an oil change, so I took it to my local Walmart this morning. I entered the oil change department, handed over my keys and ordered the oil change I wanted, then headed for the front of the store to get a cart and attempt to kill 45 minutes in Walmart. Walmart got these awesome carts a while back that I like to use,....similar to the one to your left.... and they had none inside the doors. From prior experience, I knew there would be some outside..... I have helped myself to them out there before... So I headed down the short hallway to the side door, passing an elderly man helping his wife from an electric wheelchair. Sure enough, there were several of the kind of cart I wanted outside, so I grabbed one and headed back to the small door on the side of the store.

 As I reached to open the door, the same elderly couple was slowly walking towards it, the man supporting the woman as she struggled to walk. I pushed the cart to the side, and reached for the lady's other arm and assisted her as we walked very slowly to the door, and through it. A few times, she almost fell. She thanked me a few times as we made our way slowly towards their car parked on the sidewalk, explaining that she has Parkinson's. I opened the door, then stepped back as she held the door and got in, thanking me again a few times.

  As I shopped and killed time while they changed the oil on my car, I thought about that small good deed. Would I have been as quick to help if I'd been in a hurry, instead of having 45 minutes to kill? How often do we avoid helping people because we are in a hurry and/or don't want to be inconvenienced in any way?

   I didn't post this to toot my own horn.....I never learned to play one anyway..... the piano is my instrument of choice. I am posting it in the hopes to nudge us all to go out of our way at least occasionally to help someone. It will make their day, and it will bless us for being a help.


Excuse Me, Are You Jesus?

I was racing through the airport to make an early flight; 

I wanted to get home to see my children and my wife. 

I rushed around the corner – an apple stand was there, 

Until I knocked it over. The fruit went everywhere! 



At first I kept on going – I just couldn’t miss that plane – 

I looked over my shoulder, not stopping to explain – 

A girl was down there on her knees - groping ‘round to find, 

The apples scattered on the floor – then I saw the girl was blind . 



As my plane was leaving, I stopped to lend a hand. 

I picked up all the apples, restored the apple stand; 

To replace the bruised and broken, in her fingers pressed some bills 

As I hugged her narrow shoulders, she reached to hold me still… 
And said… 


Excuse me, are you Jesus? 

Is that why you were so kind? 

Excuse me, are you Jesus 

To have had me on your mind? 

You picked up all the pieces, 

The bruised and broken parts; 

You put me back in business; 

You were Jesus to my heart… 



Bridge - Once I was bruised and broken, blind and groping on my way, 

When Someone stopped to help me, paid the damage, made me say… 



No comments:

Post a Comment