Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day to me


Today is Valentine's Day, or Singles Awareness Day as some call it. It can be tough being unattached on a day dedicated to love and couples declaring their love everywhere you turn. Insensitive married people just tell you to buck up and other remarks they make  who have no idea what is like.

 I personally think it is kind of sad that so many couples have to have a day set aside to show their love. If you love someone so much, shouldn't every day be Valentine's day? Do you really need a day to buy cards, chocolates, and be all gooey and gushy? A day to commemorate a guy who got his head cut off, by giving gifts and cards to each other......


I'm not totally against Valentine's Day. I always get my nieces and nephews a card and put some money inside. This year, I also put a bookmark with the 10 Commandments on and gave them a pack of gum. And three of them - two nieces and one nephew - gave me a Valentine, 2 of them home made. Another nephew gave me a small fake bomb he made out of clay and told me I am the "bomb". All 3 nephews got me a large bag of trail mix...... so the day wasn't a total bust.

 Actually, it wasn't a bust at all. There was a big emphasis on God's love in church this morning. We sang several songs about God's love. One of the songs is one that has been on my mind the last couple of days:

Oh, how He loves you and me,
Oh, how He loves you and me.
He gave His life, what more could He give;
Oh, how He loves you, Oh, how He loves me,
Oh, how He loves you and me.

Jesus to Calv'ry did go,
His love for mankind to show.
What He did there brought hope from despair.
Oh, how He loves you, Oh, how He loves me,
Oh how He loves you and me.

  My Savior's Love was sang, The Love of God - both as a special song and congregational - and my all time favorite hymn, And Can It Be?



 There were some testimonies about God's love, and more songs about God's love. We even sang "Jesus loves me."

  I've been thinking about this Hallmark money making holiday the last couple of days. I'll never be able to marry and have a love of my life to love and exchange cards and gifts with..... and that is OK. I do have a family who loves me every day of the year and shows it in many ways. (And who I spent all afternoon with)

  And I have a God who loves me more than any human ever could. When compared to His love, our love is shallow and self-centered. Most of us don't love those who don't love us in return. We could never hang on a cross for people who don't love us, and most of who never will......but Jesus did.

 The Bible says we love Him because He first loved us, yet we can never in a million years love Him the way He loves us or as much as He loves us. It took me years to realize God cannot not love me, for He IS love. I can't do anything to cause Him to love me less, for His love is not dependent on me, my actions, or how much I love Him in return.

 That is a pretty heavy thought for a guy who lived most of his life believing God didn't love him. I'll never on this earth realize the depth of His love for me, but I get it more than I did a couple of years ago.



  There was a beautiful moment this morning in church that may have only stuck out to me. We had just sang and heard a lot about God's love. The pastor never preached his message because of the testimonies and singing....... and then he had us stand and opened the altar to anyone who wanted to pray.

 And that was the moment I noticed. The moment that stood out to me.

 I have been in many altar calls that were preceded by hell and brimstone messages, scary stories about people missing Heaven after saying no to God in such a service as we were in...... but the services I have been in where the altar was opened after singing and talking of God's love have been so rare, that I cannot remember any.

 But this morning, that is what happened. There were no scary stories, no hell and brimstone....... just God's love. And that should be enough to draw anyone to Him.



  So on this day dedicated to love, I am thankful that I know and have the best love that any human can ever have: the love of God. I'd rather have it than to have the love of a woman..... or man....... or any love humans care capable of. Amazing love indeed.



Have you ever felt the Father’s love
As He holds you in His arms
    When you start to say I’m sorry
    He says you’ve done nothing wrong
        Have you failed to meet the standards
        that you thought you should attain 
Chorus:
        Only to hear Him call your name, saying
You are loved beyond your failures
  You are loved beyond your past
   The hope that you’ve imagined
     Is now reality at last
       You are loved with no conditions
         You are loved with no remorse
            The scars of your forgiveness
              Are engraved upon the Lord
You are loved
                Have you seen your life be torn apart
            By things you could not help
        Until you finally reach the point
    Where you could only blame yourself
Have you laid your head to sleep
    And think you’ll always be alone
        Then waken to His voice calling you home, He says

Chorus repeat


No comments:

Post a Comment