Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Monday, January 11, 2016

Thoughts on War Room

  Maybe this should be on my review blog, but this isn't really a review of the movie. I have been wanting to watch it for a while since I heard so much about it, and finally got it last week with a great coupon from Family Christian Bookstore. This afternoon, I sat down to watch it. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had read some negative comments and reviews of it when it came out in the theater, but had heard far more positive than negative comments about it.

  It wasn't at all what I was expecting. The naysayers had made it sound like it was about an elderly lady who sat in her prayer closet and repeated the same prayers over and over and that the repetition got God to answer her prayers. I sure didn't get that idea from watching it.

  OK, maybe this is a review of the movie :) - it is extremely well done. The acting is top-notch, and has a great plot that emphasizes how important prayer is; and how so many of us aren't doing it right nor taking advantage of  the power of prayer.

  One college guy I am Facebook friends with commented after seeing it back in October:
"Yesterday, I decided to go to the $10-for-matinee movie theater and watch War Room. Wow. Phenomenal movie well worth the $10. I was deeply moved and brought to tears several times. What an amazing picture that movie painted of prayer... an image I don't think I'll ever forget. This morning I woke up earlier than normal and "went to war." I can't believe I've forsaken this important weapon and privilege for so long. I am ready to fight on my knees. Will you join me?"

  I can relate to what he said. The movie hit me hard. I pray every day, but I don't have much faith that most of my prayers will be answered. I worry and fret about the future, about the direction our country is going, about losing our freedoms, about the kind of world we are making for my nieces and nephews, about how often evil triumphs over good....... I am afraid my praying is mostly habit and something I feel I must do to please God.



  But what if I and all Christians approached it the way this movie presents it: going to war, having a strategy and method, praying for specific things and truly believing God is going to answer.... not just hoping that He might? Imagine what might be accomplished if we took advantage of this tool - this weapon - that is so readily available to us.

  Some books and movies can change your life. I believe this is one such movie that can do that..... and can definitely change one's prayer life. I for one, have been encouraged to do better in the area of prayer. I want to pray for the right things with the right attitude, and definitely pray for God's will in all I pray for....... but I also want to pray believing that He will answer, and not that He might answer if He feels like it.

  Prayer: our greatest weapon, and our most under-used weapon.

  Watch the movie, or read the book.




No comments:

Post a Comment