Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Sunday, January 31, 2016

An extra day


I doubt I am alone in thinking time goes by way too fast. We start a new month, blink, and a new month is starting. A week goes by so fast that it seems one is on a roller coaster at times. One minute, it is New Year's Day, and the next it is New Year's Eve. I have stacks of books I wish I had more hours in the day to read, walks to take, places to visit, people to spend time with....and there is never enough time to do everything I want to do.

  Tomorrow is February 1, 2016. Something will happen during this February that happens only every four years: we get an extra day. We get what we want and need: more time. Granted, it is only one day.........or  24 extra hours, 1440 minutes, 86400 extra seconds.......but it is more time than we get most years.

  I've thought about it more this year than I have other leap years. If I have an extra day, shouldn't I spend it differently than every other day? If I am wanting and needing more time, shouldn't I use that time in a special way?

  I looked at the calendar. February 29th falls on a Monday. I have every Sunday and Monday off. Sundays are dedicated to church, God, and resting. Mondays are "me time". I usually go shopping, eat out, and occasionally do something with my nieces and/or nephews....so if I just do the regular Monday things on this extra day I have, will it be any different than other weeks or days?

  So then I thought more. Just because the extra day is on the 29th, does that mean I have to use that day as my extra day? I decided that wasn't necessary...... I could use any day of February - or the year for that matter - as my extra day. I thought, threw some ideas around in my head, and then I came up with an idea I like.



  We live about 1 1/2 hours from the biggest Amish section of Ohio. I like it there, but being a single guy I don't go there often as I'd like. I've been wanting to go there for the last couple of summers, but it never worked out.

  There is an inn in Sugarcreek, OH that my parents and one of my sisters and brothers-in-law have stayed at a few times during the last few years. It is a nice place to stay and has some package deals they run at different times of the year. For instance, their winter package running January 2-March 31 is $84.95 for two people. It includes one night's stay at the inn, dinner at your choice of 3 different restaurants, breakfast at your choice of 3 different restaurants, and a free item from 15 different places ranging from candles and lunch meat to a pound of cheese and a loaf of bread.

  I have listened as my siblings and parents have talked about the place and their visit, sampled the cookies, cheeses, and other things they brought back...... and wished I could go.

 I pulled the packages up and looked at them. Two people.... hmm. Surely one person could get it. I looked at the calendar, sought the infamous Farmer Almanac's weather, and decided on a day: February 23, a Tuesday. I called the inn, and found out not only could one person take advantage of the package, it was $10 less for a single person (I am guessing because of the meals). I reserved a room for the night of Monday February 22, and asked off work for Tuesday February 23. My plans are to arrive at the inn on Monday close to noon, check in, and then go exploring...... probably pick up some of the items that come with the package.



  My free dinner - or supper as my family calls it - will be on the agenda at some point....... and who knows what else. I plan on taking my laptop and a movie or two, staying up fairly late, spending extra time with God, and going to bed. Tuesday: Free breakfast, more exploring, more free stuff, and just enjoying an extra day with no work. Hopefully I can get some good pictures of the area, and enjoy being away from everything and everyone in a peaceful area I wouldn't mind living in.

  I plan on trying to stay off of social media, or at least cut the time spent by a major fraction - I may want to post some pictures. The very idea of what I am planning is exciting. I never really thought about taking this extra day to do something special before, and I am eagerly counting down the days (3 weeks from tomorrow!)

  We only get this extra day every 4 years...... what will you do with yours?


1 comment:

  1. Go for it and really enjoy yourself!! We love going to Amish country--it is so relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete