Friday, August 1, 2014
Advantages and disadvantages of shaving your head
I started losing my hair in my mid-twenties. I used Rogaine, Hair Farming (yeah, for real), and some other methods to try to stop the hair loss, but to no avail. It kept going.
I started looking at guys with no hair, and most guys looked better that shaved their heads than guys who were balding looked. I began to think about doing it, but almost lost my nerve after asking my teenage little brother (Big Brother program) what I'd look like with mine shaved. He looked horrified and said "you'd look like a geek!" (He later admitted I looked good with it shaved.)
So one day during my lunch break at work, I walked down the street, and just like Samson, allowed a woman to shave my head. Immediately, the strength left my body...... well, not really. The next morning, I looked in the mirror and thought, "Oh no! What have I done?!"
12 or so years later, I am still shaving it. And used to it. And there are advantages to shaving your head. And disadvantages.
1) No bad hair days. Ever.
2) I can drive with all of the windows down and not worry about getting my hair messed up.
3) No buying hair products. No shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hair spray,combs, brush, etc. Just a razor and shaving cream, which I already buy to shave my face.
4) Clean feeling. Unless you have done it, you can't imagine the feeling when you're feeling dirty and hot, to shower and shave your head.....awesome feeling.
5) Money saved on electricity from not running a hair dryer.
6) No grey hairs!
7) Dandruff isn't a problem
8) It can make you look younger. Several people did tell me that. So forget the fountain of youth.... shaved your head!!!
9) Head lice isn't a worry.
10) You don't have to wear a hair net when working around food. The one place I worked instituted that rule -hair net or hat. A few co-workers grumbled about me not wearing one, but my boss pointed out I didn't need to..... no hair.
12) No bed head or hat head.
13) If you get caught in the rain, all it takes to dry your head is a paper towel. Been there, done that.
14) It is comfortable. Very comfortable.
1) Sunburn. One more place to sunblock or get burned.
2) You either stick with your hair color of the hair you no longer have on your driver's license hair color, or put "bald". I asked. They won't put "shaved."
3) People want to rub your head for good luck. I have a co-worker who does this often.
4) Bald jokes. How many are there anyway?! (For the record, I don't mind them)
5) It seems a shaved head gets bumped and cut more than one covered with hair, and there is nothing to cover that up. Except a hat.
6) If you're Jewish, it makes it difficult to wear one of those yarmulkes.
7) Winter is hard on a head with no hair. Mine gets cold fast.
8) The glare of lights off of your head can distract people.
9) The question so many ask: "do you buff or wax it?" No!
10) People may think you have cancer. I did have a couple of people think that early on.
11) It does get old shaving both my face and head..... but quitting either is not an option.
12) You might get associated with skin heads and gangs. Hasn't happened to me yet.