Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Thursday, May 18, 2017

He fist-bumps me

 It has been a while since I posted an actual blog post, so here is a short one I wrote the other day: 

There's a guy at work whose name I don't even know. He works in another department....I am not even sure which one.... but often when he walks by me, he fist-bumps me. This small gesture makes me feel good. It is a sign of acceptance. This man sees me as a man, and evidently likes me as a person as well as he knows me.

  For a guy like me, this is big. For so much of my life, I felt the opposite by men. I felt different, and that other guys didn't like me nor considered me their equal.

 T hings have changed. This man who fist-bumps me is not the first guy I have felt accepted by as an adult. I have been privileged to work with guys my age and younger who like and accept me. I have been the recipient of a slight punch to the shoulder, a pat on the back, and good-natured teasing that showed I am "one of the guys".

 And the effects are life-changing. My self-confidence has grown, though it may never be what it should be. I believe it has even lessened my same-sex attractions and helped in that area more than I may realize.

 It has also made me think what I can do for other guys. You never know what a touch on the shoulder or a fist-bump can do for someone.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mark, nice post. Serves as a reminder that it's not always the grand things but the small, seemingly insignificant gestures that have lasting effect.

    Thank you for the candor about the same sex attraction. It is refreshing to hear a christian refer to is as a struggle as opposed to a matter of course or just resigning themselves to it.

    Praying with you brother. God bless you on your journey. I pray for God's multiplied blessings on you on your way.

    Best regards,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete