Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The canceled lunch

  "Something came up and I can't make it tomorrow. Sorry, can we reschedule?" The text I received this evening wasn't really a surprise, but it still irritated me. To be honest, it hurt a little.

  I have this friend. I got to know her well at my last job. She has a long time boyfriend who she doesn't live with and has no intention of marrying. She is funny, and likes my whole family. Over the course of the last 6 years or so that I have known her, we have met for lunch several times, sometimes with another lady who we also worked with.

 And over the course of  the last few years, she has canceled lunches that she had set up. And her reasons always sound made up. One time her brother surprised her visiting from Florida, but a mutual friend knew he didn't visit.

 After not hearing from her for a few months, she called two nights ago and wanted to meet for lunch at a new Chinese restaurant tomorrow. I very loosely planned on it, and sure enough I got that text message this evening. This makes at least the 5th time this has happened. And it bothers me.

 To be honest and maybe a tad bit pathetic, there isn't a line of people at my door wanting to go out to lunch with me. The only people who have met me for lunch this year have been my nieces.... and my nephews, but I have to pick them up since they don't drive yet. At my age and being single, I really don't have a social life. Well, I don't have one at all if I am honest.

 What do you do with a friend like this? She is a pathological liar. I have known that for a long time. I hate to be rude and tell her I don't want to be friends anymore, but this canceling lunches is getting old. And I hate the fact that she lies so much.

 So now I have my day off empty again with no plans. Should I still drive the 35 minutes to Boardman, OH to try out this new Chinese restaurant and do a little shopping while there?

 Is it better to not have friends to do things with than to have friends who cancel with lousy excuses? And what do I do next time she wants to meet for lunch?

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have lunch with you; pity you live so far! As for pathologic liers, I wouldn't accept more invitations... Just say "no, thanks" without getting into details why.

    ReplyDelete