Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Monday, February 2, 2015

A lifetime of lent

 
For a lot of my life, I thought Lent was just a Catholic thing. I was well into my adult years when I found out that people from all denominations observe it. I have never observed it, and really don't hold the idea of it in that high of regard. I have my reasons, I didn't just decide to boycott it for no reason, though I wouldn't say I actually boycott it. I just don't do it.

My reasons:

1) I think it is kind of weird that many people go out and indulge heavily the day before. If it is so great, why not start earlier, and work  your way up to it?

2) I can't imagine that God is that impressed with giving up something for 40 days, and then you go right back to it the next day. If you're counting down the days til you can have chocolate, coffee, or whatever else it is..... you may as well give in and do it.

3) I try not to jump on fads and bandwagons. And it is a bandwagon. I think it can be good to fast from some things for a period, but  why do it during that time when everyone else is doing it? If you're going to fast from something, do it at another time when it isn't the in thing or cool to do it. It is easier to follow the crowd and do it when the crowd is doing it.

  If we do this thing of serving God right, we will live a lifetime of Lent. A lifetime of giving up things for Jesus. Each day is an exercise in taking up our cross, denying ourselves, and doing His will, not ours.

We must give up our plans and dreams and find His for our lives.

We must give up fear and instead trust

We must give up sin and embrace righteousness

We must give up complacency and let God stir us and move us

We must give up hate and anger, and live a life of loving others

We must give up the throne of our heart to God to be the Lord of our life.

  There are some styles of music we should give up, singers, books, movies, TV shows, some ways we entertain ourselves.

  The Christian life is a lot about denying ourselves, obeying God rather than man, of setting aside what we want for what God wants.

 I don't think observing Lent is a bad thing to do. I do believe it is empty and meaningless for many, especially for those just jumping in to join the crowd of all of the others who are giving up something for the 40 days leading up to Easter. Be different. Do it another time, or find something to give up for always

No comments:

Post a Comment