Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Friday, February 13, 2015

A bachelor looks at Valentine's Day

  Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. It is a day dedicated to telling those we love that we love them. It seems to be mostly centered on romantic love, and the card companies really capitalize on that.

  Tons of cards, candy, and other gifts will be given tomorrow. Couples will dine out and wait in long lines to eat together on the day of love. There will be love, love, and more love. Wonderful love.

 I don't really like Valentine's Day. I am single, and will always be single. I'll never marry, never have a special someone to be with on Valentine's Day, so it isn't that special of a day. It is a reminder of what I cannot have.

 But I don't really boycott the day. I have always gotten my nieces and nephews a Valentine's Day card and money or a small gift, though money has become easier. If someone wishes me a Happy Valentine's Day, I don't growl "humbug" at them, but wish them one back.

  And if you think about it, how special is a Valentine's Day gift anyway? Everyone does it, or almost everyone. Most couples exchange cards and/or gifts, they may go out for a meal or have a special one at home....just like most couples across the country. It is the day to do it. It is expected. Guys, you will be in the doghouse all year if you don't buy a card, roses, a gift, etc.....

 I posted a somewhat anti-Valentine's Day post on Facebook today, and my wonderful cousin Natasha said this in reply:  We don't really "do" Valentine's day either. Who wants to go to a restaurant when everyone else is packing the place out? Also, I appreciate the thoughtful things my husband does randomly, unprompted by some holiday. "Oh, you stopped by the bakery and got me a treat on some random day." means so much more than "you bought me chocolates and flowers on the day you're expected to."
  And she has a great point. What good are gifts given on the 14th of February, if the rest of the year there are no cards, no roses, no back rubs, no romantic dinner out or at home? If there are no "I love you's" spoken on the other 364 days, why do it tomorrow?



  Some people need some motivation, but the way marriages are falling apart, no couple should save up all of their love and gifts for one day of the year. I know, I am a bachelor who hasn't dated since the early 90's, but I am seeing so many marriages fall apart, families torn apart, men and women who claim to know Christ, yet choose to not honor the vows they made in front of the God they serve. The same God who says marriage is forever.

 Maybe it is a good thing I won't ever marry. If marriage is so wonderful, if people are truly so much in love, then why do they jump ship so easily when that "for worse" they promised to hold on through comes along?

  If Valentine's Day is the only day a couple does the card and gifts and whatever other things married people do on the great day of love, that is sad. They should be doing those things all year long.

 Some months back, two Jehovah Witness women came to our door. I told them the usual "I have my own church and you aren't going to change my mind, and I am not going to change your mind" speech. Then for fun, I added "Besides, you lost me already with the not celebrating birthdays and holidays. I love getting and giving gifts, and it would stink to be a Jehovah Witness and not have that." The ladies stared at me like I'd grown two heads, and then one spoke up "Well, we believe in giving gifts every day of the year." Had I been on my toes, I should have shot back with "good, what did you bring me?"

  I still think it would stink, but what they said should hold true for married and dating couples. Do special things all year long. Put the toilet seat down once in a while guys. Leave it up once a while, ladies........OK, start with something small like strive for world peace and work your way up to leaving the seat up for your husband,,,,,,,,,



  And we all need to do that. Love is for everyone. It isn't just for married and dating people. We all need love, and we all need to love.... and show that love all year long. To all of those in our lives. And to God.

  It is easy to feel left out on Valentine's Day, but we all have the greatest love of all available to us: The love of God. Romantic love will fade and wither away. Marriages will crumble and fall. People will disappoint us and hurt us, but God is love and always loves. So if you're like me and don't have that special one in your life, focus on the most Special One of all: Jesus. It isn't just a nice little thing to say to make me feel better about being single. It is true, and what better day to focus on that, than the day devoted to love. St. Valentine has nothing on Jesus, so forget about him tomorrow, and love everyone, and especially God. And when tomorrow ends, keep on loving everyone in your life, and show it often. Don't wait until Valentine's Day. It could be too late.

  And here is a helpful hint: if you decide to pass up Valentine's Day and do it another day, you can stock up on all of the things they sell 50% off after the day is over.......



 And lest you think I am not a romantic at heart, and am anti-love and anti-marriage, I shall end with the lyrics and video to one of my favorite songs, a love song. Ever Faithful to You, a song I would have sung at my wedding, had there ever been one. Happy Valentine's Day.

Ever Faithful to You by Jeff and Sheri Easter

Verse 1
We stand here together with choices we have made
We give ourselves completely to start our lives this day
We join with each other asking God to lead
Knowing He'll be faithful to us eternally

Chorus:
I give you my heart
I give you my unending love
I give you my word that I will be yours
As long as there are stars above
And as long as there are sands in the sea
I promise that I'll be
Ever faithful to you

Verse 2
The years will have their hard times, but this I know is true
We'll count on each other when each day is through
We will pray together asking God to lead
Knowing He'll be faithful to us eternally

Chorus:
I give you my heart
I give you my unending love
I give you my word that I will be yours
As long as there are stars above
And as long as there are sands in the sea
I promise that I'll be
Ever faithful to you



No comments:

Post a Comment