Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Thursday, November 29, 2012

What holiday?

   I'm not sure when it started, but now it is an every year occurrence at this time of year. Certain stores avoid the word "Christmas" in their advertising, sales, advertisements, and in store greetings. Every year, the miserable atheists get a Nativity scene banished in some town.

  A lot of Christians don't seem worried about it. I have known of Christians to point out that Christmas isn't mentioned by that name in the Bible, that its from secular background, and so on. (These are probably the kind of people who vote for pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage candidates like Barack Obama!) These people are losing sight of something. It isn't just the name of this holiday that is the issue. It is the first part, the "Christ" part. They don't care about the "merry" or even the "mas" part, just "Christ."

   It is true that too many of us get caught up in the hustle and bustle and lose sight of the meaning of it all, but it is still set aside to celebrate the birth of our Savior, so I believe that we should be upset and concerned with this push to call it something else. Yes, it would still be about His birth for we Christians, but does that mean we should just let them throw aside the "Christ" part of it all? They aren't just trying to call it something else, they are trying to erase Christ from it all. Ironic.... erase the person who it is all about. And yes, there could be a message in there for us that we don't erase Him from Christmas by our actions and busyness at this time of year..... but still - it is all about Him, so call it what it is, Christmas......the day of Christ's birth.

   This doesn't happen with other holidays, if you think about it. No one says "Happy Holidays" on February 14, or March 17, or October 31....... and by the way, I don't like Halloween. I won't go into my reasons, but I don't observe it, but I'm not all offended if someone says "Happy Halloween"...... and speaking of offended: Why is it that a small group of people get  their way with this kind of stuff? I saw a poll yesterday that said 7 in 10 people prefer "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays"...... so why does the small group win? Does it not matter that I am offended by stores deliberately removing "Christmas" from all they do? More people want it than not, so why do the smaller groups win?

   Could it be because we sit back and let it happen? I think all too many Christians are passive about this kind of thing.... its why we lost the election - and because too many Christians voted against Biblical values. Too many don't care enough. A few years back, Walmart decided to kick Christ out of Christmas, and it came back to bite them. The backlash was so heavy that they backed down. If Christians kept after stores that did this, it wouldn't happen so much. No, we shouldn't call and scream about it, but we can make a polite phone call or email and inform the store that we are offended and will not be shopping there this Christmas season.

   Isn't it amazing how much extra money these stores bring in on the same holiday they refuse to call by its name: Christmas. They don't want to acknowledge the One who its all about, but they are sure happy to make money off of His birthday. I am not so insensitive that I don't realize that a lot of store clerks in these stores are told not to say "Merry Christmas", but I am often tempted to reply to their "happy holidays" with "What holiday would that be?" And "No, I'm not looking for your holiday music, I am looking for your Christmas music!" - and "I want a Christmas tree, not a holiday tree!"

  And yet we can call it Christmas and lose sight of it all. I love this time of year. People seem to care more about others, I like the lights, the Christmas events at church, the music, and of course the gifts. I love to get gifts - who doesn't?! - but I love to give, something I may not be able to do much of this year if I don't get a job soon...... but still, without the gift giving, it is still Christmas. It is still about Christ's birth. Taking away gift giving, or even calling it Christmas, will not take away the "reason for the season", but I still contend that we need to stand up more for Christmas. Say "Merry Christmas", contact stores that make policies against it, and if your town outlaws a nativity scene in the public square, put one out in your yard. This isn't simply a push to call it something else. This is a push against Christianity and our freedoms. And we need to stop it.

  

2 comments:

  1. Funny thing is...the choice to use "Happy Holidays" backfires on them, since it actually means "Happy Holy Days."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned more about love, selflessness and human understanding from the people I have met in this great adventure in the world of AIDS than I ever did in the cutthroat, competitive world in which I spent my life. – Anthony Perkins Flights to Manila
    Cheap Flights to Manila
    Cheap Air Tickets to Manila

    ReplyDelete