Purpose




Thoughts of a messed up Christian saved by God's grace





Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beating depression and becoming someone I like

It has taken me a while, but I am finally getting a handle on this depression thing. If someone has never dealt with depression, it is hard to understand. I still haven't arrived, but I am making a lot of progress.

One of my biggest problems with depression is negative thinking. I had become a very negative person, and it was showing. But I was even more negative inside, and was listening to the lies of the devil. I have been working on ignoring those lies and listening instead to the people in my life who are telling me good things such as that I can find a better job, that I am capable of doing more, that I am a good worker, etc. I have made a deliberate decision to be more positive in my thinking and interactions with people and to be more thankful.

I have set some goals. I had a goal in mind for an amount to have in my checking account. I finally hit it, and passed it up by $300. I am still adding to it. My goal is when I do get a better job, that I will have enough cash in my savings that I can easily pay a first months rent and the desposit on an apartment, and moving expenses,  and still have some left.

Another goal: weight loss. I was up to 235, and was 209 as of this morning. I have bascially changed eating habits and am walking some, and it is slowly coming off. I haven't reached my goal yet on that, 24 more pounds to go, but it feels great to have come this far.

And another goal: becoming someone that I like. That may sound weird, but for way too long, I have not liked myself. I know my faults more than anyone, and though I may not be able to change everything about myself I don't like, there is a lot that I CAN change, and am working on. I won't list everything here, as some of that stuff is between me and me ;-) - but I will list a couple, and I pretty much already did: my weight, and my negativity.

Life still isn't hunky dory. I want my own place so bad, and a better job, but I am thankful for what I have. And I feel my current job has been good for me in some ways. My boss, the store owner, is a jerk. No way to sugar coat it. He goes off way too easily on people, and everyone is on egg shells around him, but I was just thinking the me of a few years ago would have quit by now, or lashed back and most likely got fired. I can't wait for the day that I can give my 2-week notice, but I do have to admit it has helped me in some ways.

There are some other changes I feel I need to make, but those need to be worked on when I do have my own place.

I still need a lot of work and though I have changed some things, there is still room for improvement in those areas, but I can honestly say that I am liking the guy in the mirror a little more than I used to.

If you're reading this post, I would ask your prayers that I do find a better job soon. I would really like to be in my own place before winter sets in.

1 comment:

  1. Continue your positive attitude and stay away from negative people, negative news in the T.V because those can really affect your mood and can lead to depression if your life stressors can't handle it anymore. Here is a good article you can read - Natural Treatments for Depression

    ReplyDelete